It’s another trip Down Under for the UFC as Israel Adesanya defends his middleweight title against Sean Strickland at UFC 293, which takes place tonight at Sydney’s Qudos Bank Arena. The main event features a title fight between the brash and dangerous Adesanya and the former champion. The undercard features a variety of local talent, and with a few Australian fighters making appearances, the fans should be entertained. Following a couple of weeks of early card action, the organization returns to its usual 6:30 start time.
It was initially believed that Dricus DuPlessis would get a shot at the title at the middleweight division, but Strickland was suddenly added to the card. He has won two in a row, and those victories came over quality competition. With that in mind, is Sean the fighter who deserves a title shot at middleweight?
Despite his lack of a strong schedule, Strickland has managed to make a name for himself through his trash talking. During the build-up to the fight, he talked a lot about his opponent.
In the co-main event of UFC 293, Sydney’s Tai Tuivasa will look to get back in the win column after consecutive losses. He will fight Alexander Volkov, who is a rangy striker. Since he is an all-action fighter, it’s possible that this fight doesn’t go to the scorecards. Volkov has won his last two fights by knockout. He did it by finishing both Alexander Romanov and Jairzinho Rozensstruik. This is a strange booking, but I’m glad it’s happening.
Israel Adesanya Record And Bio :
- Nationality: Nigerian
- Date of birth: July 22, 1989
- Height: 6′ 4″
- Reach: 80″
- Total fights: 26
- Record: 24-2-0
Sean Strickland Record And Bio :
- Nationality: American
- Date of birth: February 27, 1991
- Height: 6′ 1″
- Reach: 76″
- Total fights: 32
- Record: 27-5-0
UFC 293 Full Fight Card :
- Israel Adesanya vs. Sean Strickland; For Adesanya’s UFC middleweight title
- Tai Tuivasa vs. Alexander Volkov; Heavyweight
- Manel Kape vs. Felipe dos Santos; Flyweight
- Justin Tafa vs. Austen Lane; Heavyweight
- Tyson Pedro vs. Anton Turkalj; Light heavyweight
- Carlos Ulberg vs. Jung Da-un; Light heavyweight
- Jack Jenkins vs. Chepe Mariscal; Featherweight
- Jamie Mullarkey vs. John Makdessi; Lightweight
- Nasrat Haqparast vs. Landon Quinones; Lightweight
- Mike Mathetha vs. Charlie Radtke; Welterweight
- Shane Young vs. Gabriel Miranda; Featherweight
- Kevin Jousset vs. Kiefer Crosbie; Welterweight
UFC 293 Fight Info :
- Date: Saturday, September 9
- Time: 10 p.m. ET / 3 a.m. UK
- Main event cagewalks (approx): 1 a.m. ET / 6 a.m. UK
- TV : U.S.: ESPN+ PPV UK: TNT Sports 1
- Venue : at the Quodos Bank Arena in Sydney, Australia.